Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Review: Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Transformers:  Dark of the Moon
7/6/11
Carmike Cinema 10
Large Mr. Pibb
Plenty of A/C

The question you have to ask is:  “What were you expecting?”  I mean, at this point don’t you know what you’re getting from a Transformers movie?

 I’ll admit it, I read other critics reviews, sometimes before I go see the movie.  I know, I know, it’s poor form.  Whatever, I don’t really care.  I’m just a guy who likes movies and likes to tell others what I think about them.  So, a few of these stuffy shirts just killed this movie.  One of my favorite critics, whom I’m often in complete agreement with, went so far as to give it zero out of four stars.  Are you kidding me!!??  I’ve never seen that before.  I was going to go see it just because of that alone!!

By the third installment in the Transformers franchise, we know exactly what we’re getting.  And let me tell you:  THAT is what makes this movie so good.  Returning Director Michael Bay doesn’t even try to disguise this as anything other than a showcase for how unbelievable computer generated effects and explosions can be.  They have perfected it to the point that you really do forget you are watching something that isn’t real.  The actors and effects blend seamlessly. 

Yes, there is a plot, and a pretty good one at that.  For the second time this summer (see review of X-Men:  First Class), actual historical events are re-imagined into a fictional theme.  This time the first Apollo moon landing serves as a vehicle to find out what’s behind a mysterious craft that crashed on the dark side of the surface.  Turns out it’s from Cybertron and carrying some pretty bad dudes.  This time Optimus Prime’s best buddy is played by none other than Spock himself, Leonard Nimoy as Sentinel Prime, a conflicted Autobot who wants an alliance with a now resurrected Megatron, who of course wants to take over the planet. 

Back once again as the kid who can’t catch a break is Shia Labeouf as Sam but this time there is a new hottie taking the place of Megan Fox named Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, a former Victoria’s Secret model.  She plays Sam’s girlfriend, Carley and really does a pretty good job. Otherwise it’s all the usual suspects and that’s a good thing. 

Look, if you want a good movie with awesome graphics and lot’s of explosions and action, you can’t do much better.  And Michael Bay isn’t going to try to make you think otherwise.

My review: 
3/4, B, See it in the theater

No comments:

Post a Comment