Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Review: Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Rise of the Planet of the Apes
8/10/11
AMC Crossroads 24
Large Mr. Pibb
Plenty of A/C

I know what you are thinking, because I was too.  Most people I’ve talked to about this movie have said “I can’t believe you went to see that.”  The previous 4 installments in this franchise have left us with that taste in our mouth.  The “Apes” movies have become a joke, a punchline and the Tim Burton 2001 reboot didn’t help matters.  I went into this movie thinking it was going to totally suck.  My defense of originality in Hollywood finally has met its horrible end, I can no longer defend an institution that produces yet another cheap monkey costume story about horrible humans. 

You’re just going to have to trust me when I tell you we were all way off on this one.  I talk all the time about movies that absolutely surprise me and this is at the top of the list.  Forget surprised, let’s go with SHOCKED (pun intended….Peter Gabriel).  

Not knowing this going in, it turns out this is actually a prequel to the 1968 original film starring Charlton Heston.  As a refresher:  Heston’s team was on a mission to Mars and went through a time warp and landed on an alternate Earth in the future where primates were the dominant….and really only….species.  Without ruining it for you, let’s just say this movie pays constant homage to that one and actually sets up for not only sequels but for the original.  The Mars mission launch is actually shown on a background television and it’s disappearance referenced in a newspaper story. 

James Franco does a good enough job as the lead character, Will Rodman who is experimenting with a cure for Alzheimer’s which ails his Father.  His experiments on primates land him the cure he’s been waiting for, but the patient ends up going nuts and has to be put down.  Will finds a baby chimp in the mom’s cell and takes it home and raises it as his own.  “Cesar” turns out to have inherited the genetic benefits of higher brain function and becomes super-smart to the point that his intelligence lands him in a primate habitat when he runs into trouble.  Tom Felton, who played the infamous Draco Malfoy in the Potter films, takes another turn as a bad guy who abuses the primate inhabitants to the point of revolt. 

All of the performances are good in the movie but the real amazement is in the performance capture acting done by Andy Serkis (Gollum in LOTR) wearing a skinsuit with sensors attached.  You know CGI is amazing when you forget you’re watching something that isn’t real.  And I can hardly get my mind around knowing that Serkis is ACTUALLY there in all these scenes, acting out ape movements and expressions.  It’s absolutely shocking.  The movie is worth going to see just for this element.  Add in that the story is cool and sets up the very reason for the original Planet of the Apes.  Didn’t anyone ever wonder “how did the Apes take over in the first place?”  Question answered. 

Now something I NEVER thought I’d say going into Rise of the Planet of the Apes:  I can’t wait for the sequel.

My review: 
3/4, B+, See it in the theater

No comments:

Post a Comment